May. 25th, 2015

escapewindow: escape window (Default)

Five years ago today, I landed the first mozharness commit in my user repo. (github)

starting something, or wasting my time. Log.py + a scratch trunk_nightly.json

The project had three initial goals:

  • First and foremost, I was tasked with building a multi-locale Fennec on Maemo. This was a more complex task than could sanely fit in a buildbot factory.

  • The Mozilla Releng team was already discussing pulling logic out of buildbot factories and into client-side scripts. I had been wanting to write a second version of my script framework idea. The first version was closed-source, perl, and very company- and product-specific. The second would improve on the first in every way, while keeping its three central principles of full logging, flexible config, and modular actions.

  • Finally, at that point I was still a Perl developer learning Python. I tend learn languages by writing a project from scratch in that new language; this was my opportunity.

Multi-locale Fennec became a reality, and then we started adding projects to mozharness, one by one.

As of last July, mozharness was the client-side engine for the majority of Mozilla's CI and release infrastructure. I still see plenty of activity in bugmail and IRC these days. I'll be the first to point out its shortcomings, but I think overall it has been a success.

Happy birthday, mozharness!

escapewindow: escape window (Default)

I found myself missing mozharness at various points over the past 10 months. Several things kept me from using it at my then-new job:

  • Even though we had kept mozharness.base.* largely non-Mozilla-specific, the mozharness clone-and-run model meant there was a lot of Mozilla-specific code that came along with it.

  • The monolithic BaseScript + mixins model had a very steep barrier of entry. There's a significant learning curve, and scripts need to be fully ported to mozharness to take advantage of its features.

I had wanted to address these issues for years, but never had time to devote fully to harness-specific development.

Now I do.

Introducing scriptharness 0.1.0:

I'm proud of this. I'm also aware it's not mature [yet], and it's currently missing some functionality.

There are some ideas I'd love to explore before 1.0.0:

  • multiple Script objects with threading and separate logs

  • Config Type Definitions

  • rethink how to enable/disable actions. I could keep mozharness' --add-action clobber --no-upload structure, or play with --actions +clobber -upload or something. (The - before the upload in the latter might cause argparse issues?)

  • also, explore Maven-style actions (all actions before target action are enabled) and actions with dependencies on other actions. I prefer keeping each action independent, idempotent, and individually targetable, but I can see someone wanting the other behavior for certain scripts.

  • I've already split out strings from code in a number of places, for unit testing. I'm curious what it would take to make scriptharness localizable, and if there would be demand for it.

  • ahal suggested adding structured logging; I'd love to investigate that.

I already have 0.2.0 on the brain. I'd love any feedback or patches.

February 2017

S M T W T F S
    1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2017 01:23 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios