Back at camp, a zebra baby and mum were eating grass and nursing just outside our tent. This was a good omen for the evening.
We started our evening safari in great spirits, wondering how we could possibly top the cheetah sighting earlier. (I secretly wanted to go back.)
Then we came across the newborn zebra, still wearing its afterbirth. The perfect finale to an amazing trip.
(The bright flashes are me getting worried about depth of field + focus, and stepping down the aperture.)
An ibis posed in the water for us afterwards.
Our final campfire, with drinks, and final dinner, were sentimental, with speeches. Tim, a National Geographic employee, had his photos running in a slideshow -- mine are unabashedly wildlife-centric; his actually told the story of the entire trip quite eloquently, giving me ideas for future trips.
This was the perfect day.
The rest of the photos are here.
- i: departure. arusha coffee lodge. 3-5 oct, 2012
- ii: meetup. first safari - lake manyara. plantation lodge. 6 oct 2012
- iii: lake manyara. plantation lodge. 7 oct 2012
- iv: maasai. ngorongoro crater. 8 oct 2012
- v: ngorongoro crater. best birthday ever. 9 oct 2012
- vi: olduvai gorge. seronera. serengeti. 10 oct 2012
- vii: northern serengeti. sayari camp. 11 oct 2012
- viii: the perfect day, part i. 12 oct 2012