escapewindow: escape window (Default)
[personal profile] escapewindow

(This is one of several shorter blog posts about features in the new vcs sync process.)

Focusing on beagle first turned out to be the right call (thanks :joduinn) -- I severely underestimated the time it would take to solve the initial mozilla-central cvs-prepend step in an automated, repeatable fashion, as noted here and here. However, this meant that after all my beagle-specific testing, I had to refactor to support the other vcs-sync processes, and re-test.

One consequence: my ~6 minute estimate ballooned to ~9+ minutes for each conversion job when I changed from a single conversion_dir push to a push-per-source-repo. With each job cron'ed every 5 minutes, a commit could take up to 20-some minutes to show up in git (if it happened right after the previous conversion started).

:nbp had given me a shell script to look at, and :hwine had suggested we use hg incoming to check for any changes before proceeding with the pull/convert/push loop. The latter seemed simple to add, so I did.

The average no-op conversion time dropped from ~400-550 seconds to ~12. This includes rsyncing the updated status json and ~600 log files to an upload server. (That number of logfiles will go down exponentially when we have dated upload dirs, so we don't have to keep so many backups in the same directory.) This is dependent on hg.mozilla.org load, and can spike up to ~40 seconds.

The average conversion time dropped from ~400-550 seconds to a little over a minute, and additional repos don't add much more time.. sometimes ~2 minutes for 4 repos' worth of conversion. I also bumped the cron job frequency up to once per minute, so on average mercurial commits should show up in git within a minute or three. Plus, it's harder to find multiple repos' worth of changes within a single minute, so it keeps the incoming changes down. The longest delays tend to come when we hit hg corruption (uncommon), and even then we're auto-fixing within 8-9 minutes (see a later blog post about this). I still want to get more built-in parallelization support into mozharness, but with these numbers it's a lot less urgent.

One side effect of this: sometimes we skip over repos that need to be synced. For example, if we add a new target to a repo (e.g., a git.m.o repo, when we had previously only been pushing to github), or a new branch or tag regex (there will be a later blog post on these). If the repo in question has a lot of activity, this would populate on the next push. If it's a closed or low-activity repo, that might not happen for days, or weeks, or ever.

I added a --no-check-incoming commandline option, with a corresponding global check_incoming config setting to skip this behavior, and convert/sync everything. Also, I added per-repo check_incoming flags (defaulting to True) for more granularity. This helped in debugging the relbranch issue on mozilla-beta (see later blog post).

February 2017

S M T W T F S
    1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 23rd, 2017 06:05 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios