On Saturday morning we took a very quick game drive, staying close to camp. It was more of a farewell round than anything, a good close to the week. On the way to the airstrip it seemed like animal after animal came out to say goodbye.
We flew back to Arusha, where we visited a souvenir shop and art gallery. Then to a day room near the airport, where we showered and re-packed our luggage for the international flight home. And I managed to get rid of the rice in the sandbag that I really didn't use that much all trip.
I managed to steal some pictures of Arusha this time.
Some geeky camera and travel thoughts:
- I love my new camera.
- The 100-400mm isn't as sharp, or fast, or as sexy as a super telephoto prime. But it's faster to deploy, easier to carry, and less unwieldy in cramped quarters. Faster at grabbing difficult shots in limited time. At least until I get some practice time in with the big guns.
- Next time, if I go on another more photo-oriented safari, I'm thinking a super telephoto prime, a mid-range telephoto zoom, and a wide lens like a 35mm f/1.4 for documenting the trip. And give IR another shot.
- Here's a thought. Since I used vacuum sealed bags filled with air for padding, maybe I could protect my monopod with... water wings?
- While I didn't use my sandbags much (plural; one stayed in my duffel all trip), I used the heck out of my tiny tabletop Manfrotto tripod. Maybe because I was going with a lighter long lens.
- I used the heck out of the 2x extender too.
- I kind of missed my 7D. With its 1.6 crop factor, my effective 800mm f/11 would have become an effective 1280mm f/11, which would have helped with the rhinos, leopards, and serval cat.
- There wasn't any need for me to change money.
- Laundry was super cheap at Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge (about a buck an item). And Sayari camp was all-inclusive.
- I should have tried longer exposures and lower ISOs on the leopard cub.
- I think I'm close, photography wise. Not yet good enough to be pro, but promising enough to think I can if I dedicate myself. Keep at it. And buy more gear ;-) ;-)
The rest of the photos are here.
- i: departure. arusha coffee lodge. 3-5 oct, 2012
- ii: meetup. first safari - lake manyara. plantation lodge. 6 oct 2012
- iii: lake manyara. plantation lodge. 7 oct 2012
- iv: maasai. ngorongoro crater. 8 oct 2012
- v: ngorongoro crater. best birthday ever. 9 oct 2012
- vi: olduvai gorge. seronera. serengeti. 10 oct 2012
- vii: northern serengeti. sayari camp. 11 oct 2012
- viii: the perfect day, part i. 12 oct 2012
- ix: the perfect day, part ii. 12 oct 2012